Tooth Extractions – Lawrence, KS
Gentle & Compassionate Tooth Removal
We hope that our patients can retain their natural teeth for a lifetime. Sadly, that is not always possible. Circumstances can arise that necessitate the removal of one or more teeth. If such an urgent situation ever happens to you, do not worry. We are committed to both the comfort and health of our patients, so we always make extra efforts to perform gentle and compassionate tooth removal. To learn more about the extractions we perform in our Lawrence office, continue reading this page.
Why Choose the Kansas Center for Sedation Dentistry for Tooth Extractions?
- Sedation Available for Patient Comfort
- Compassionate & Gentle Team
- Improve Your Oral Health
Reasons Why Tooth Extractions Are Necessary
There are several reasons why we might determine that it is necessary to remove one or more teeth:
- A tooth has suffered severe damage or decay that cannot be repaired with a crown or other restorative procedure.
- It is necessary to make room in the mouth for braces, dentures, or other oral appliances.
- A tooth is impacted (stuck beneath the gumline).
- The wisdom teeth are threatening the health of nearby tissues.
- An infection is present, and removing a tooth is the best way to prevent the problem from having widespread consequences for a patient’s oral and overall health.
The Process of Removing a Tooth
One of the first things we do during an extraction appointment is endeavor to make the patient comfortable. To that end, we will numb your mouth and possibly administer sedation. Once you are settled in, we can begin to remove the tooth.
We lift the tooth with an instrument called an elevator. Next, we grip it with forceps and rock it back and forth to break the connective tissues holding it in place. We then clean the socket and use gauze to control any bleeding.
After the procedure, we may encourage you to pursue tooth replacement so you can prevent problems like jawbone deterioration, dental drift, and the other issues that commonly accompany tooth loss.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
Here are a few guidelines you should follow so you can have a smooth recovery following your extraction procedure:
- Take all medications as prescribed by our team.
- After the first 24 hours, start regularly rinsing your mouth with warm saltwater.
- Keep your head propped up on pillows when you sleep.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not use a drinking straw.
- Do not engage in strenuous physical activity.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Eat soft foods.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages.
- Attend all recommended follow-up appointments with our team so we can replace your lost tooth in a timely manner.