Root Canal Therapy – Lawrence, KS
Effective Pain Relief
for Aching Teeth
A toothache is never fun, especially if the pain is escalating rapidly. It can impact many aspects of your daily life such as eating, sleeping, and speaking. When you notice one, the best course of action is to seek attention from a dentist in Lawrence. At Kansas Center for Sedation Dentistry, our exceptional team is dedicated to relieving your pain and ensuring your overall well-being, even if that involves one of the most commonly misunderstood procedures in dentistry: root canal therapy. If you’d like to learn more about this service, continue reading or give us a call today!
Do I Need Root Canal Therapy?
When the pulp inside the tooth becomes infected, root canal therapy may be the only way to treat the issue. The only way to know for sure if you require this treatment is by scheduling a consultation with our team. However, there are several common signs that may indicate the need for this service, including:
- Sharp, piercing pain when biting down
- Persistent tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Red, swollen gums or the presence of a small blister-like bump
- Discoloration or darkening of the affected tooth
- Intense toothache that progressively worsens over time
The Root Canal Process
Contrary to popular belief, root canal therapy is not a painful procedure. In fact, it’s meant to swiftly and effectively alleviate your discomfort. Our team will ensure your comfort by thoroughly numbing the treatment area before we begin. That way, you will only feel occasional pressure during the procedure. With the use of local anesthetics, many patients have found the root canal process to be no more uncomfortable than getting a large filling.
Once the numbing takes effect, a small opening will be made in your tooth. Our team will carefully remove any damaged, decayed, or infected material, and then thoroughly sanitize the area to eliminate any remaining bacteria. Subsequently, your tooth will be filled with a warm, rubbery substance that seals the access hole. Finally, a dental crown will be placed over the restored tooth, providing added strength and protection against future infections.
The Benefits of Getting a Root Canal
Root canal therapy offers several benefits for patients in need of treatment. Here are the key advantages:
- Pain relief: The treatment effectively eliminates the intense toothache and discomfort associated with infected or damaged pulp.
- Tooth preservation: Rather than extracting the tooth, a root canal allows for the preservation of the natural tooth structure, maintaining proper chewing and biting function.
- Improved oral health: By removing infected tissue and bacteria, root canal therapy prevents the spread of infection to neighboring teeth and gums, promoting overall oral health.
- Long-lasting results: With proper care, a treated tooth can last a lifetime, eliminating the need for additional extensive dental work.